Volunteer to Mentor
Mentors are crucial to the Tennessee Promise program. They are the local citizens who will help students navigate the college admission process and ensure they complete the Tennessee Promise program requirements in order to receive the scholarship.
Who Can Become a tnAchieves Mentor?
- Any individual who wants to invest 10-15 hours annually assisting 5-10 high school seniors with post-secondary success
- Must be 21 years or older
- Subject to a background check
To Become a tnAchieves Mentor, You Must:
An Effective Mentor:
- Makes initial contact with students before first mentor/student team meeting
- Reaches out to parents/guardians if possible
- Reminds students of all meetings and deadlines
- Attends both team meetings
- Encourages students to reach their potential
- Plays an active role in eliminating barriers associated with post-secondary access and success
- Assists students with community service opportunities
- Lessens the post-secondary intimidation factor by sharing personal experiences